I bumped into grunge like many European (and North American) kids in the early 90s. Music Television. At that time, grunge wasn’t really what I wanted my music to be like. It was not loud or heavy enough, I suppose. I got into Dream Theater, Pantera, Death, and Paradise Lost. You know, heavier kind of stuff.
For years, I thought grunge was something evil that killed thrash metal. But in the end, what it killed was glam metal that was very much the opposite what grunge was all about. Thrash metal was actually closer to grunge – the attitude was the same, and they shared the punk influence, too.
But grunge didn’t kill thrash metal. Thrash metal did it all by itself in the early 90s. It was the last part of the natural cycle and it happens with practically every genre. On the other hand, thrash did not die as such – new thrash bands popped up with a bit different sounds. Sepultura, Machine Head and of course: Pantera. The Next Generation of Thrash Metal, TNGoTM, also categorized as groove metal.
In the end, grunge was just a small regional scene that got big. Just like thrash metal in the Bay area in the 80s, or death metal in Florida in the 90s, or melodic death metal in Gothenburg in the 90s as well.
Trends always come and go. Just like punk killed prog rock in the late 70s, grunge killed glam metal in the early 90s. There are times when you have to shake the tree of rock’n’roll and show them what rock is all about. It’s not about big hairstyles, playing 200 notes a second or doing over-the-top live shows. It’s about playing loud, making people love your music and.. Well, rock.
We all have our definitions of rock music and still, good rock music is damn hard to define. Grunge wasn’t my cup of tea in my teenage years but I still value it. I hope you do it, too.
- Definition: Neo-grunge (fabsugar.com)
- Look of the Day: Grunge Gone Right (fabsugar.com)
- Cheap & Chic: ’90s Grunge (fabsugar.com)
- Grunge Painting (worldofhersheydesai.com)
- 10 Best Grunge Bands of All Time (loudwire.com)
- Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Best Grunge Album? (rollingstone.com)
- Does Soundgarden Have Any Business Reuniting in 2012? (blogs.villagevoice.com)
- Who Killed Rock and Roll? Is Rock and Roll Dead In The Modern Day? (psychedelichippiemusic.blogspot.com)
- Dazed: The Story of a Grunge Rocker by Nikki Palomino (iamanauthorimustauth.wordpress.com)