Oulu, the Jewel and the White Town of the North. Ten, maybe fifteen years ago, people used to call this a metal town. And why not, as we had some great bands such as Sentenced and Impaled Nazarene in the early 90s (and of course, also a bit later). Suddenly, dozens of new bands arose.
But in the 2000s, the scene calmed down, so to say. A lot happened in the underground, naturally, but nothing more. But fortunately, I’ve noticed the Oulu scene is finally getting more and more active. Maybe even more active than ever before…
Here are some bands that came to my mind. In alphabetical order. Yeah, I know these bands feature members that I know. But each bands really deserves to be mentioned, right?
- Cvalda. A new, electronic rock band founded by Juha Kylmänen (Reflexion, For My Pain…), Lauri Tuohimaa (Embraze, For My Pain…, Charon etc.), Ilkka Leskelä (Embraze, Maple Cross, Reflection) and Mikko Kylmänen (Severe; Juha is his uncle). Video.
- Dark Intervals. A new rock/pop solo project of Ilkka Harjula (Ignis Fatuus). Album.
- Godlesson. SLayeR! People from Joint Depression and Bleak Crowd. I think I’ve already mentioned this band a couple of months ago. Video.
- Grabulator. Hard rock, blues, southern rock featuring Speedy (Rautavaara). Video.
- Ignis Fatuus. Dark progressive metal featuring Jarmo Kylmänen (Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Rautavaara) who happens to be Juha’s brother and Mikko’s father (see Cvalda). Live video.
- Joint Depression. Gothic progressive metal? Video.
- Mors Subita. Melodic death/thrash, featuring Mika Lammassaari (Eternal Tears of Sorrow). Video.
- Valentfoe. Progressive metal by people from Dark Flood, ZeroCrowd and Dawn of Relic. Video.
And of course, The Man-Eating Tree, Kalmah, Poisonblack, Catamenia, National Napalm Syndicate, Burning Point, Afterworld, Myon, Charon, Zero Nine, The Black League, of which many were actually formed in the Oulu area but not exactly in Oulu. But who cares?